Language: Level I , Grade 7-12
Text: Paso a Paso 1. This lesson is introduced at the end of Chapter 7 (Vacation, travel and weather.)
Objective: Students will work in groups to create a vacation guide to a Spanish-speaking country by using Internet and word processing tools.
1. Computer with Internet access, word processing, and slide presentation software
2. Index cards with pictures (or stickers) of the flags of the Spanish-speaking countries. You need at least a pair of each or more, depending on the class size. (I use these throughout the year for other partner/group work.)
3. Student worksheet
4. Craft materials as needed (markers, poster board, etc.)
1. Students were given a card (upon entering the room) on which there is a flag of one of the countries. They must sit with their partner( or other group members, depending on the size of your class) with the same flag.
2. After reviewing the countries of these flags, students will be introduced to the task - to explore in greater detail one of these countries by taking a virtual tour on the Internet and presenting their information in a creative manner.
3. I will explain the task, using the student worksheet.
4. Students will work with their partners for approximately 4-5 days (timing needs to be flexible) to gather the information and prepare for the presentation to the class.
5. Progress will be monitored daily by means of a "group progress sheet" as exit ticket. (sample below)
1. Students will self-assess
daily by means of exit tickets. (samples for different days are below)
2. The class presentations will be evaluated by the teacher and other students. (see Evaluation Rubric below)
(Student Activity Sheet)
1. The starting point for exploring your country is the list of Culture Links in my Home Page. Scroll down the links to the one that will help you find the answer to each question on your Activity Sheet, then click on it. You may work cooperatively to find the answers, but each student should complete a worksheet. Ready?? Go to:
1. Las personas en mi grupo se llaman______________________________________________________.
2. El nombre de nuestro país es ______________. Está en ______________________. (Centroamérica, Sudamérica, el Mar Caribe, o Europa.)
3. La capital se llama_________________.
4. Tres otras ciudades importantes se llaman_____________,_______________, y___________________.
5. Lugares geográficos de importancia son______________________________________________________.
5. La población es_____________________de habitantes.
6. Los colores de la bandera son________________________________.
Dibuje la bandera:
7. El dinero ($$$) de mi país se llama___________________. Hay _____________en un dólar americano.
8. El tiempo normal de mi país:
temperatura mínima ________grados
9. Noticias del día (News of the Day)______________________________________________________________
10. Fiestas importantes y las fechas:___________________________________ ______________
11. Lugares de interés (Places of Interest) a visitar:
12. Productos importantes: _________________________
13. Otras ideas: Write other ideas or information here
that your group would like to include in your presentation:
(Sample exit tickets)
I hand these out five minutes
before the end of class. I copy four to five on one page, then cut
them apart. They can be given out either to each student or one per group.
They serve as a quick, one-minute or less summary of the lesson
and /or the students' assessment of their progress. The students
must hand me their ticket as they leave class. Choose whichever ticket
makes sense for the day's lesson, or make your own!
Nombre del grupo__________________
Two things I learned about my country are:
My group will do a _________________________________as a presentation to the class.
We need help with_________________________________________________.
One thing that I liked about today's class was_________________________________.
One thing that I didn't like was__________________________________________.
One thing I learned today was______________________________________
I am confused about______________________________________________
(Here is a sample of a rubric for this project. This can be used by the teacher as well as the students for grading other groups' presentations.)
Did you include the following information ?
--country 1 2 3
--3 other cities
How did you present the information? ____________________
poor average excellent
Creativity 1 2 3
Group cooperation 1 2 3
Accuracy of information 1 2 3
Spelling and grammar 1 2 3
Presentation (held audience, spoke clearly
and loudly, answered questions,etc.) 1 2 3
TOTAL SCORE: _______/18
here to return to Señora Pechulis' Home Page